Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Color Me Beautiful!


As a ten-year-old, I had no fashion sense. I would thrust my arm into the closet and put on whatever resulted, pretty much. Stripes, plaid, polka-dots, red, taupe, chartreuse, it all worked. I remember my "boyfriend" coming over to our house. We had some plans for the afternoon. He insisted on choosing my wardrobe first, it was that bad.

So I was delighted to find at least one source of help when in the 1980s "Color Me Beautiful" became popular. The consultant seated me in front of a big sunny window, and one by one she draped fabric samples across my front. White or cream? Bright blue or navy? Which fit best? And I was able to see that some colors blended with my coloring and seemed to make me look younger, brighter, prettier! Others made me look drab, old, tired. It turned out I was a "spring." I left with a sample of fabric swatches that I still own today.

I was born with this coloring, and if I am smart and want to look younger, brighter and prettier I'll follow along and choose shades that work with it. Similarly, I was born -- and so were you -- with particular passions and talents.  If I am smart, and want to live in full color, I will let these guide me as I choose where to invest my time, energy and creativity. How about you?

No comments: